Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Serenity Pre-Blog

We went to the pre-screening for the movie Serenity tonight. It was, in my opinion, fantastic.

If you've ever watched and enjoyed anything else by Joss Whedon, then you need to see this movie. If you felt let down by the Star Wars prequels (i.e. you thought that the story, characters, pacing, dialogue, etc., weren't what they should have been), then you need to see this movie. If you like movies that don't rely on cheap gimmicks to tell a great story (but that still have cool special effects anyway), then this is for you.

The big question is, will you be able to enjoy Serenity without having watched Firefly, its TV show precursor? The answer is, I don't know. I watched the TV show, and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. You may be different.

How about this: go see Serenity this weekend, then come over to my house to watch some episodes of Firefly? There's only 14 or so, and they're really some of the best TV you'll watch this year. I can probably get you hooked in 3 episodes, easy.

Or, plan B, rent Firefly on DVD (no, you can't borrow mine), do a mini-marathon over the next few days, and then go see the movie.

Anyway, I've got more that I want to say about this movie, and about movie heroes in general, but it's late. Perhaps tomorrow. "I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."