Monday, September 26, 2005

The Ascent

I was in my office; my wife was across the hall in our room, reading. I became aware that someone was walking up the stairs, slowly, saying something. It sounded like they're saying . . . no, it couldn't be. I must be going insane.

Thump. "Coke?" Thump. "Coke?" Thump. "Coke?"

I stepped outside my office and there, on the stairs, was Sam. Half-carrying, half-dragging a bottle of Diet Coke that was easily half his size, he smiled up at me and said, "Coke?" Before he could topple backwards down the stairs, I grabbed him and the Coke and took him to his mother.

That was two weeks ago. This morning he did the same thing, but with a huge box of Lucky Charms, crying "See-oh, see-oh?"

Update: I thought I should note that he did not receive any Diet Coke, despite his efforts, but that he did get some Lucky Charms.