Friday, February 25, 2005

Johnny Cash

I checked out the last 3 Johnny Cash albums from the library last week. Yes, our library has CD's. In this age of iTunes, I admit that's not a wise move from a intellectual property standpoint, but there it is.

Anyway, Timothy and I were in the car the other day, driving to Costco, and I was playing these CD's in the car.

For a while there, Timothy was the family geographer. He loved maps, was always asking when we were going to California, Texas, the Carribean. So I played the song "I've Been Everywhere," hoping to interest him.

He liked that song just fine, so we played it several times. It was a long car trip, so I played the other CD's, most of which consist of Johnny Cash singing and playing the guitar all by himself. They're very good, but apparently, they're not to Timothy's taste.

During one particularly bleak and depressing old-school country song in which someone had shot someone else and was feeling sorry, Timothy called from the backseat, "Are there any good songs on this album?"

4 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Scott said...

There was a South Park episode a while back that used a particular word (the S word) over 150 times in a 30 minute episode. That's over 5 times per minute.

They were being heavy-handed in order to make a point (and also to be funny), and I was trying the same thing here. I don't think the blog was long enough to make it work. Oh, well.

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh and I have always prided ourselves on our "wide range of musical tastes." We often wonder and laugh at what type of music our kids will listen to as teenagers. Even though we feel as if we'll expose them to many genres, how much to you want to bet they'll end up liking Japanese techno or something else equally as annoying? Have your boys shown musical preferences yet?

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Yeah, it's kind of funny. We've stayed away from "kids music", mostly for our own sanity. So the kids listen to what we listen to. They really like upbeat stuff, like Ace of Base and Erasure. Timothy also likes some of the Jeremy Casella songs.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Scott said...

The original post:
I checked out the last 3 Johnny Cash albums from the library last week. Yes, our library has CD's. In this age of iTunes, I admit that's not a wise move from a intellectual property standpoint, but there it is.

(One of the reasons I like listening Johnny Cash is because he's cool. So if I listen to him, then that makes me cooler than the rest of you. I'll be getting an earring next, maybe two!)

Anyway, Timothy and I were in the car the other day, driving to Costco (which is not a cool store), and I was playing these CD's in the car.

For a while there, Timothy was the family geographer. He loved maps, was always asking when we were going to California (cool), Texas (not cool, except for Austin), the Carribean (rastas are cool, because they're naughty). So I played the song "I've Been Everywhere," hoping to interest him (and to draw the boy in to my coolness, and help him to be cool, too).

He liked that song just fine, so we played it several times. It was a long car trip, so I played the other CD's, most of which consist of Johnny Cash singing and playing the guitar all by himself. They're very good (and very cool), but apparently, they're not to Timothy's taste.

During one particularly bleak and depressing old-school country song in which someone had shot someone else and was feeling sorry (depression and sadness are cool), Timothy called from the backseat, "Are there any good songs on this album?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home