Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Grand Central Station

Growing up, I had a very good friend named John. (I guess we're actually still good friends, but we never see each other anymore, so I'd have to check.) John had the driest sense of humor, and was hilarious. He was also very quiet, so whenever I told someone how funny John was, they would just look at me in stunned disbelief.

I remember one day we were over at his house, possibly playing games (we played lots of wargames and I always lost; I'm lousy at wargames), when we got about 5 calls in 15 minutes. It was uncanny. John was getting miffed, and on the 6th call he just picked up the phone and said "Grand Central." You had to be there. I laughed for an hour (and still probably lost).

Today, our house was Grand Central station. Here's the thing: families with lots of kids tend to attract one another. Birds of a feather, etc.

This morning, there was Anna and John Robert. My wife was watching them for a few hours. I have no idea why. Timothy was at school, but the other 3 boys were home. Not too bad. 5 kids.

During lunch, I took a walk. That was my kid-free time for the day.

About 3:00, waves of children start showing up, beginning with Isaac, Lucy, and Nathan. Then came Phineas (Finny), Rose, and Winston. 10 kids.

Thankfully, at this point they all went outside.

At about 4:00, I went downstairs to get water and try to sneak some Oreos. I looked outside and the previous 10 had been joined by Emma, Mary, Daniel, Justin, and Anna. 15 kids.

Then a dog showed up. Much screaming ensued. The dog ate some mail, punctured a ball and led a large number of children on a merry chase.

All in front of my house. Welcome to Grand Central.

1 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Blogger Becki said...

Tanks! I was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to see your humor again! I love you. Mom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home