Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Ash Wednesday

Our church had a short Ash Wednesday service this evening, and I took Timothy with me. He's only been with us once or twice in a church service, so I was surprised he did so well. He sat there and tried to listen, but it was a little long for a 7 year old.

Our pastor did an excellent job (as usual) of saying just what needed to be said, both to the Christians and non-Christians in the room. He does this in pretty much every sermon, although I doubt there were too many "seekers" at an Ash Wednesday service. Still, you never know. If you build it, they will come, etc.

Throughout the service, I explained to Timothy what was going on, what Ash Wednesday and Lent are, etc. He seemed to take it in and accept it pretty well.

Near the end of the service, when we were going up to get the ashes put on, I asked him if he wanted to go. At first he said yes, but when he saw folks walking back to their seats, he looked a little shocked and told me he did not want to go. I told him he could go up with me but not get the ashes applied, and he said, "I'll be okay here, dad." So he stayed in his seat while I went up.

Honestly, I think that was the best part for him, sitting there all by himself. Whenever I looked back, he smiled and waved at me. But he enjoyed the brief independence.

Oh, well. It has begun. I hope he remembers to call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home