Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Candyland

Yesterday was the day after Easter, a.k.a The Dentists' 2nd Favorite Day of The Year, and our house was no exception. This was the first year in a while that the boys actually got Easter baskets and, when matched with their pickings from the egg hunt at my in-laws' house, each boy had quite a haul.

Nevertheless, by about Noon yesterday, the stash was halfway gone (my own, hidden cache was only down by a third, thank you very much; but that third contained all of the remaining robin's eggs in the house; alas).

Needless to say, it was a loud day, and quite chaotic. Sam got his hands on a full-size Cadbury caramel egg, and so the downstairs bookcase and one couch pillow are now covered in brownish goo stains.

About 2 o'clock, my wife came up to tell me about the game Jonah was playing. He had 5 purple Skittles that he was carrying around in a large plastic egg (it had been the Grand Prize in the egg hunt, and had once contained lots and lots of Runts, Nerds, etc., which were gone by this time). These Skittles were his "children", all twins (5 of them), all four years old, all named General Grievous, and were all scientists. The egg was how they traveled around, a la Little Einsteins (you're singing that song in your head right now, aren't you? me too.).

After my wife told me this, I sat there in stunned silence (which she graciously allowed), and then I remarked, "That's a lot of detail."

"That's all I could remember. There's more."

About an hour later I came downstairs to get some water (not Coke; my mouth hurt, to be honest; I flossed twice and brushed my teeth three times yesterday). When I got there, I checked in on Jonah. He was down to 4 Skittles (Sam was following him around like sharks behind a fishing trawler), and now only one was named General Grievous. The others were named Grievious (note the extra "ee" phenome; it's very important), one was named Sidorak, and the other was named Sidorak II. They were still in the egg.

Around 4 o'clock, the mouth burn (eat half a box of Captain Crunch; that's what I'm talking about) had calmed down enough for one last Coke of the day. Jonah and Stephen were over at a friend's house, playing. Sam was walking around with the egg, a huge smile on his face. The Skittles were gone.

No worries, though. I have a bag hidden away in my office.

2 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger Becki said...

I hate to admit it - but Jonah reminds me a lot of me! When I was a child, I pretended my M&Ms were little beings. I won't call them "people", because I ate mine, too. One at a time. I can remember happily strolling through the house, eating my little beings one by one. Scarry, huh???!!! :) Mom

 
At 4:34 AM, Blogger Darrin User said...

That is too funny. Oh, I tried to find the song for Little Einsteins but I could not. Disaster avoided, no song stuck in my head. I've never heard it before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home