Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Spring is Sprung

Sunny and 62 degrees, light wind. Welcome to Atlanta in Spring.

"But wait!" you say. "It's not Spring yet. We've not yet passed through the Vernal Equinox! Fie! Fie, I say."

And I would say that you're a nerd. It's here.

My window is open and I can hear birds singing, squirrels scurrying away from our cat, and hordes of children playing in the dead-end street in front of the house. And even with the window open and a breeze blowing through, my long sleeve shirt is looking like a bad decision.

There are Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies in my freezer and Cadbury Mini-Eggs hidden away behind the plates. Yesterday, Timothy informed me that the Bradford Pear trees are blooming. He hates the smell too; good boy.

I'm waiting for the Dogwoods and Cherry trees to bloom. There are a gazillion Dogwoods in our neighborhood and in the woods next to our house. There are also a few fantastic Cherry trees as well. I love living in a tree city, even given the crazy pollen (Atlanta was #20 last year, but #1 in 2004).

So, Spring is here.

Except in Minnesota and other parts north. To you who read this with snow still on the ground and triple-digit heating bills, I say this: my house is for sale.

Now, for the interactive part of our "interactive media." What one thing (okay, up to three) most signifies to you that Spring has arrived? Post in the comments section, if you please.

8 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Ooh. One more. I left the heat off the other night, and nobody noticed.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Becki said...

The forsythia are blooming (there was the Forsythia Festival in Forsyth, GA LAST weekend), and I can tell it's time to take off the big, fluffy, wonderful down comforter and bring out the polyester one. Mom

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger fiorinda said...

I know it's spring when the forsythia and bradford pears begin to bloom(I hate the smell, too). Also there's a certain feeling in the air, an anticipation of sorts.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Splitcat Chintzibobs said...

I have an overwhelming desire to dig holes in my backyard and use a chainsaw.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Scott said...

When I walk in the morning, that spring smell is in the air and the birds are already chirping. If only it could stay spring forever (and never summer)!
4boy mom

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger fiorinda said...

I forgot about the thunderstorms. They are also a harbinger of Spring around here.

I agree 4boymom. I could live without July and August.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Darrin User said...

Spring came early for you!!!

yes yes, technically spring is March 20, but i wouldn't even give it the credit you did. it was still snowing here in Washington (state) last week. NO JOKE!

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Splitcat Chintzibobs said...

Fiorinda reminds me: Spring arrives in Georgia on the first day that a new episode of one's favorite TV show is interrupted by the Beep--Beep--Beep of a severe weather alert warning Atlantans of a line of dangerous storms coming out of Alabama (though it usually turns out only to be a bevy of NASCAR fans on their way to Charlotte).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home