Monday, January 02, 2006

Gang aft agley

We were in the car the other day, when Timothy, now 8, pipes up from the back.

"When I grow up, I want to be one of three things: a scientist, an artist, or a writer." Okay, those first two were expected. He's been animal crazy for years now. Other sciences get slightly shorter shrift, although there has been an uptick in the physical sciences and engineering recently that can only be blamed on intensive parental goading. Just kidding.

I don't know where the writer thing comes from. It certainly isn't hereditary, since he doesn't even know what a blog is, and he doesn't ever come here. He has inherited a love of books from his mother and me, and he's reading Inkheart, which is about magical writers, so that may be it.

While my wife was discussing, in true parental fashion, the fact that he could do two or even all three of those things, I got all starry-eyed and tilty-headed and thought of a great new meme. Luckily, my eyes and head returned to normal pretty quickly, since I was driving at the time.

Now, I'm sure this one has already been done before -- and better -- by someone else somewhere else. But hey, that never stopped Microsoft. So here we go.

Rules
  1. What did you want to be when you grew up (WYGU) while you were a kid?
  2. What did you want to be WYGU when you graduated from High School?
  3. What (if anything) is your college degree in? (overachievers: feel free to add Graduate degrees)
  4. What do you do for a living now?

Feel free to post this on your own blogs, or post as a comment here. If you do post this in your blog, please put a link in a comment here, since I'm really curious about this one.

Tone
Please note, this is not cynical. The purpose of this is not to disabuse youthful dreamers of said dreams. It is merely to celebrate the hilarious ways in which God steers us.

My Turn
  1. I'm sure my Mom can list many, but what I remember is wanting to be a judge. That godlike power ("Is that a yellow tie? Two days in the hooskow, counselor."). When I found out you had to be a lawyer first, I gave it up. Yuck.
  2. All through high school, I wanted to be a teacher. I have no idea why. Then, when I took Physics, I had such a good time (while making C's), that I decided to be a Physics teacher. Nobody at my school took me seriously, which cemented it in my mind.
  3. Lo and behold! I got a Physics degree (my grades got better in college, who could have known?). Because my parents were paying for it, I tacked on another full year to get a teaching certificate.
  4. I work with computers. Technical support and sales. I tried teaching, but found out (in the now-famous words of that great sage Gary) that I liked science more than I liked teenagers. A lot more. Actually, on a straight-line spectrum of affinity, science and teenagers are at opposite ends. They make the end points, to be honest (dots, not circles, you nerd). Wait, I take that back. I hate cockroaches more than teenagers. Well . . . yeah, that's right.

Have at it.

6 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger Becki said...

1. When I was a kid, I wanted to be an artist. I heard someone say "commercial artist" and that sounded wonderful.
2. By the time I graduated from HS, I was married! All I wanted to do was graduate and raise children.
3. That was it - that was as far as I got - high school. I never even thought of going to college, or art school or anything else. I managed to make a "career" out of typing and filing until I finally got to stay home and raise children.
4. I'm now a co-business owner! Yeah! We own and operate a self-storage facility. I'm still typing and filing. Mom

P.S. I remember you wanted (at 7) to be a paleontologist (!) and a fireman. I thought that was wonderful.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Splitcat Chintzibobs said...

Good meme. My response is here: Ohoopee Online

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Dignan said...

I took the bait.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Susan said...

1. When I was a kid I wanted to grow up to be a fireman or a truck driver. I guess I've always been a tomboy! In Girl Scouts, I loved to build and maintain the campfires. I'd stay up all night making sure the fire was continuously fed. How'd I get away with that? Where were the adults?? I was fascinated by fire (still am). Not in a pyromaniac way, but a healthy respect. We also road tripped to the grandparents at least twice a year (10 hour drive). I loved to watch the semi's and imagine where they came from, where they were going and what was in the back. I wanted to see the world from the high perch of one of those cabs.
2. When I was in high school I didn't have much ambition. Mary Jane was my friend back then. I did think about becoming an MP (military police). My dad was Army and the MPs liked to harass us kids. I wanted to be an MP so I could harass back.
3. I didn't go to college after high school. I became a mom instead. I took a few classes at the community college to become an EMT (which I did in '92). I wanted to go on to become a paramedic. In our town the paramedics are part of the fire department and all paramedics are also firefighters (back to the childhood goal). But they didn't get paid enough for me to raise my two kids and the hours wouldn't work well with trying to find childcare.
4. I spent the last twenty years at the nation's #1 retailer. The first five were in the stores, the next five were in merchandising & advertising, the last ten have been in the IT department. Last semester I took a LOA to go back to school. The baby is a senior in HS so it's time to start doing what I want instead of what I need to raise the kids. I am majoring in Criminal Justice (OK, kinda back to the HS goal). I intend to work in computer crime investigations - specifically Internet fraud of eCommerce sites.

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. When I was a child, I wanted to be a Skippers Cook... my mother loved Skippers.
2. When I graduated from HS, a Aviation Maintenance Technician.
3. I actually have a degree in computer programing. The Aviation thing was not something I could do on my income after HS.
4. I'm actually an intern and not in a field related to any of the three above mentioned careers... I work @ a church in WA, studying to become a pastor.

~Darrin C. (Worth)

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Scott said...

Well, if you run a church like you run a guild, you'll do just fine.

-Forboda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home